iBeacon Beta for BLE Mini
*Read before you plan to buy our BLE Mini or use your existing BLE Mini to test our iBeacon firmware
- Under NDA agreement with Apple, we cannot and will not answer any of your questions related to iBeacons on our website/blog/forum/support until Apple has made the iBeacons details public.
iBeacon for BLE Shield
We will evaluate the feasibility of implementing iBeacon for BLE Shield as soon as Apple have published the final specification. Please check back after their announcement.
- Tested with iOS 7.0
- Run standalone as iBeacon, Arduino or external host is not required.
- You can customize your own iBeacon configuration including UUID etc.
- You can run multiple BLE Mini iBeacons at the same time.
No soldering work is required if power through Micro USB.
You have three options to power BLE Mini
- VIN pin (J4), 3.6V to 11V
- Micro USB connector, 5V
- Coin Cell Battery, 2.3V to 3.6V
(We will optimize the power consumption once the iBeacon specification is made public, in the mean time no battery performance data can be provided.)
You can power our BLE Mini with a 5V power source through the micro USB connector; if you do not intend to use coin cell battery or other power source, no soldering work is required.
Step 1. "Flash" the iBeacon firmware into BLE Mini
You will need a Microsoft Windows PC and an USB cable with micro USB connctor for the upgrade process. Press and hold the push button on BLE Mini while connecting it to your PC, it should show a mass storage drive (e.g. E:), then you can release the push button, delete the existing .bin file (e.g. Biscuit.bin) and drag the RBL-iBeacon_20130628.bin into the drive.
Step 2. Download our sample iBeacon app to customize your iBeacon's configuration.
Step 3. Quit the iBeacon app, because BLE Mini will not be in "broadcasting" mode while being connected by an app.
Step 4. Restart your BLE Mini by disconnecting and then re-connecting power source.
Note: If you have developed your own firmware for BLE Mini that utilize the EEPROM, please backup your data in the EEPROM before using this firmware as part of the storage in the EEPROM will be used to save the configuration data.